Thursday, August 30, 2012

Berries {& Greens} Smoothies

Leafy greens. 

Love 'em. 

Well, not entirely. I love how good they are for my body. I love their natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties (Kale). Kale is crazy high in vitamins A, C, K, and B6, and the minerals potassium, iron, manganese, and phosphorus. Spinach is a powerhouse of its own, as its high in magnesium, folate, calcium, and iron. Awesome! Still, is there anyone who can drink Kale/Spinach juice straight? Doubtful! Flavor those greens with a splash of salad dressing or bury their flavor entirely in delicious fruity sweetness? I'm in! 

Enter our household's breakfast/lunch staple of the summer: the Berries & Greens Smoothie! 


Berries & Greens Smoothies: 
Makes 1 Liter, about 4 cups

2-3 Leaves of Kale, washed and torn away from their stems (any kind of Kale works, though I prefer Dinosaur Kale (aka Lacinato Kale)
1 Heaping Cup baby Spinach leaves, washed
1/2 Cup Orange Peach Mango Juice
2 Tablespoons ground flaxseed
3 Heaping Tablespoons plain yogurt
1 Peach, chopped
1 Banana
1 Cup Blueberries (or 1/2 cup Blueberries and 1/2 cup other frozen berries. I use a blend of strawberries, cherries, raspberries, and pomegranate arils I found at Costco)

Note: If you'd like to reduce the sugar, this recipe is just as good without the banana - the flavor is a little more tart and less creamy.

Combine all ingredients and blend until smooth. Enjoy!



This recipe can be modified all over the place and is usually not the same twice. I started making these at the end of spring, and the habit stuck. I've really noticed a difference in my skin - all those antioxidants, vitamins, minerals, and omega 3's (from the flax seed) seem to be doing the trick.

I'm thinking I'll have to buy peaches in bulk and freeze them to get through the coming winter!

So tell me, are you a smoothie fan? What's your secret ingredient?

Love,


Caitlin

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...